“The house doesn’t care what’s fair, who lives or dies. Know why? Cause it’s a fucking house!”
- Watson Pritchett, House on Haunted Hill (1959)
[The Society] has discovered that a series of disappearances in the area around Marshaw Manor date back to the 1868 when Iberia Parish (which bisects St Martin Parish) was created. If disappearances go back further, no records have been presented. Marshaw Manor backs up against the Teche Bayou, a 125 mile long waterway that stretches from Port Barre to the Lower Atchafalaya River in Patterson. The area has a long and bloody history, including much fighting during the US Civil War.
The bayou is also home to a great deal of secretive worship. The area surrounding Parks houses several small Vodouisant cults as well as a worshiper of Yig, and several followers of the “Dark One.” The warring between these groups had raised something ancient out of the swamps, and it thirsted for blood. With the founding of Parks in 1900, more people moved into the area and the disappearances became more frequent. Now, close to 200 people live in the village, but they all avoided the area around Marshaw Manor.
Marshaw Manor had become the lair of an angry elemental being from the Bayou. As Voodoo magic intertwined with the forces of the mythos, a creature was created that has haunted the bayou for over 50 years. The creature had hunted and killed unwary travelers, as well as the residents of the manor. Recently it had remained quiet, slumbering within the cellar, lying in a muck filled, flooded area. The arrival of new the investigators, of course, gradually brought it back to wakefulness. With the help of local lore provided by the residents of the General Store’s porch, the team managed to draw the creature into a trap and, in a single fiery strike, destroyed both the Marshaw Monster and the manor-house.